Dec 22, 2015

Plein Air Guerrilla


I recently bought a new Guerrilla Paint Box for plein air painting. I've been limping along for years, lugging pounds of unorganized equipment in and out of my car, back and forth from the wilderness in several totes to just do a small outdoor painting. Now I'm set.


Lugging of Paint Stuff


Not that I ever have to go very far from the car. It's just that the several trips and lots of bags create a barrier to even going out at all. It's so much easier just sitting in the studio.

The new paint box removes that barrier. I can now carry everything in one trip. It's still heavy, but I pack the box and tripod in one single small wheeled suitcase rather than in several totes.


What's in a Pochade

The Guerrilla box is a pochade box - pochades were originally cigar boxes re-engineered to act as a paint easel. It was small - allowing only a few brushes, a limited color palette, and small panels on which to paint. They were meant to be simple and portable. Over the years, these simple boxes have evolved and improved, and are available from a variety of commercial outlets.

The Guerrilla box that I use is one of the most popular around. The box lid holds the canvas or panel on which you paint, which is also the wet canvas carrier.

You can hold the box on your lap or mount it to a camera tripod. There's ample storage for brushes, small paint tubes, and a few small canvases or panels.

Everything you need.

I'm doing much more plein air painting than ever now. I love the setup and ease. A good sturdy pochade is a must-have for anyone considering moving out of the studio and into the wide open landscape.