May 14, 2016

Painting Demo: St. Augustine Lighthouse

This is what I painted during a recent plein air day in St. Augustine by the lighthouse. I've taken progressive snapshots of my painting process, below:


Above - here's the location where I'm painting - I'm on the beach at the St. Augustine Florida lighthouse, next to a big wide palm tree. In the foreground is my paint box and where I've set myself up in front of a lovely sailboat. Below, you see a close up of the very beginnings of my painting - here, I've done the initial drawing, added a few greens, and blocked in the darks:

 


It's about a half-hour later, and I've added the blue of the sky, a few pops of red, and have started to bring in some textural detail in the foreground.


And below is the finished piece. I've added the rest of the detail in the plants. I also added more paint, and at the very end created the lightest lights and redefined the darks:

"Palm by the Lighthouse" 8 x 10, Mary Hubley

To see more of my paintings, go to www.maryhubley.com.

I'll be posting more of these painting demos soon! Thanks.

--Mary Hubley