Sep 30, 2014

Challenges of Painting at Night

St. Augustine Castillo at Night by Mary Hubley
Castillo at Night (c) Mary Hubley

St. Augustine's Spanish Castle

This is a quick painting of the St. Augustine Spanish Fort. The electric lighting casts a golden glow on the normally white coquina stone wall, with dark blue sky and signature surrounding Florida palms.

The fort in St. Augustine is a national monument, called the Castillo de San Marcos. The fort has existed since 1672, making it one of the oldest structures in America. 

Painting at night is a challenge!

I grabbed my painting gear and headed out to grab my spot in the dark. Night painting is a trick. You have to see the canvas in the dark, but be able to tell the difference between red, blue, brown, etc.. I guess you could use a flashlight, but jeez, it's just another thing to bring. Here, there was enough light from street lights and shop windows.

Reference photos (for later tweaking in the studio) are difficult, too. My night photos always come out black with one or two little lights in them. I leave night photos to the professional photographers. If I have to tweak, I'll go from memory, a few on-the-spot gestural drawings, and my original painting.


Genre: Landscape
Painting Name: Castillo at Night
Size: 7" x 5"
Media: Acrylic on Canvas Board

-- Mary Hubley




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! This is a moderated comment board, and I'll be reviewing and posting it soon.