Sep 25, 2014

How to Compose a Strong Still Life

Appleshine, a still life painting
"Appleshine" (c) Mary Hubley

Pay Attention

My still life paintings are all about the set up. I pay attention to the abstract flow of the painting. Strong composition is everything. Here is how I do it:

Painting Tips:

  • Thumbnails: Start with thumbnail pencil sketches. Rearrange the still life until it works. 
  • Underlying abstract: Start out by painting an underlying abstract line study in one color. Then fill in the lights and darks. Create interesting shapes.
  • Add shadows. Shadows add drama.
  • Make it interesting. I pushed my apples to the bottom and going off the edge of the page.
  • Variation. Don't make everything the same shape, size, direction, color ... etc.
Happy painting!

Genre: Still Life
Painting Name: Appleshine
Size: 9" x 12"
Media: Oil on Canvas


-- Mary Hubley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! This is a moderated comment board, and I'll be reviewing and posting it soon.